Saturday, July 28, 2007

How am I?

Thank you, Tery, for thinking of me and for your concern about where my mood is at. It is good today and I am glad.

After you responded with suggestions on how to deal with my feelings of being on the brink of another depression, I did the following:
  • In the afternoon I talked to a dear friend about how I was feeling. Talking to her always makes me feel better. When my mood is suffering I need to talk to someone about it. I try not to make that all we talk about though.
  • In the evening I went for a walk with my husband at a park. Afterwards we went to a coffee shop for an iced cappucino.
  • When we came home we played a board game we've really come to enjoy.
  • The next day was Living Room. It's hard not to be up when that meeting happens. Leading it feeds me. It's the work God gave me to do and always brings joy.
  • On the day of Living Room, I found a copy of BC Christian News, a newspaper that goes to all the churches in this area and beyond. On page 3 they had published my testimony, something I had sent to them a while back. They printed my photograph way too big, but fortunately it's a good one (the same as the one I have on my blog).
  • On that same day I found that their website had published an article I wrote about creativity and how it benefits us emotionally. You can find it here.
I believe it's true that how we live our lives, especially when depression has not quite taken hold, can help us avoid the trap of falling into the hole. It would be interesting to hear how others feel about that. To what extent can we push depression away by our attitude and in how we spend our time?

And Emilija: Thank you for your comment as well. Yes, it is hard not to worry when your mood seems to slide, even slightly. I always talk about how we shouldn't be so fearful because fear just makes things worse. But how can you avoid it? I like your term "vigilance". Yes, it's not so much that we fear, we're just vigilant - and we need to be.

Thank you, too, Sarah. You are truly with me on the spiritual aspects of coping with this disease. It's good to have people having the same perspective on it as I do. We can encourage each other.

By the way, our attendance at Living Room was high for a summertime meeting. We had sixteen participants. Good thing we decided to meet through the summer.

2 comments:

Tery Lynne said...

I believe a lot of it has to do with how we live our lives and the way we think.

When I am bored, I get more depressed, more down, unmotivated and then the negative thinking kicks in.

That is why I started my new blog - to fee my brain with new information, positive talk..like Sarah.

Sarah inspired me to take my bipolar discussion to another level.

We could discuss our bipolar, ups and downs, depression and all, but I just don't want to record my emotions every single day..

Glad to hear you did all that for yourself...You must feel great!

Tery

sbwrites said...

Marja,
Sorry to read that you've been down and out. It looks like you've gotten some good advice elsewhere.

Like you, I turn to creative activities when I'm feeling low. But I also agree that forcing myself to go out and about is positive.

Maybe you can take on some creative projects that don't depend upon anyone elae for your success! You're such a talented photographer and painter that maybe something new in one of the those areas would help!

I've been reading a slew of books about photography because my new class starts at the end of August.

And when I'm feeling a bit down, I always spend time outdoors working on projects (my son and I are painting a few retaining walls and I've been gardening). I've also been swimming laps at my community college. And will go back to walking the dogs as soon as Spike's stitches are out!

Anyway, hugs from Los Angeles!

Susan