Saturday, May 31, 2008

Experiencing God's love

I'm reading a wonderful book, Blue Like Jazz, by Donald Miller. The subtitle is "Nonreligious Thoughts on Christian Spirituality. Such a revolutionary, honest piece of writing! Such a refreshing look at the Christian faith.

Miller quotes a friend who said, "...to be in a relationship with God is to be loved purely and furiously. And a person who thinks himself unlovable cannot be in a relationship with God because he can't accept who God is; a Being that is love. We learn that we are lovable or unlovable from other people. That is why God tells us so many times to love each other."

I've often told the story of how a person who I regarded very highly told me she loved me and would always love me, no matter what I do or say. She told me this at a time I was deeply depressed and did not think much of myself. This had such a huge impact on me. Through this friend I came to know how much God loved me. I remember the following days well. I bathed in the knowledge of that love - I savoured it - the feeling was one of great joy, holy joy.

We need to love each other. The best prayer I know is this: "Please, God, fill me with your love and help me share that love with others."

It's through you and me that people will come to fully understand God's love.

2 comments:

JC said...

Oh yes, I have this book. It's good.

Nancie said...

Dear Marja,

Thank God that He loved us with an everlasting love. To know God and to experience His love is the most wonderful thing that is happening in my life daily. And I am thankful to God for loving me through the people around me, like you and many others.

Thanks for all your prayers and encouragements in this difficult time. The Lord is strengthening me daily and I am learning to rest in Him, His love and sufficiency.

May God continue to shine His love through you, me and others. Take care and God bless!

With love and prayers,
Nancie