Sunday, October 10, 2010

Global anti-stigma bike ride

A man called Michael Schratter is riding his bike across 30 countries and 6 continents to raise money and awareness about mental health and to battle the stigma surrounding mental illness. You may have heard of him. He keeps this blog as he rides. http://www.ridedonthide.com/blog/ Apparently he's all alone on this journey - no companion.

A couple of weeks ago Bev Gutray, executive director of CMHA, BC Division encouraged me to let people know of his trip so that they can help him somehow. I know, myself, the best I can do is to keep him company through blogging - making comments on his blogposts. Letting him know he's not alone. I do hope I will find the time to do so, but will do my best.

Might you be interested in doing the same? Could you put yourself in Michael's shoes and realize what it's like cycling so many miles...alone - for the benefit of people with mental health problems? For the reduction of the stigma that still exists? What a great sacrifice he's making!

Would you be able to donate to the cause?
Would you be interested to share your story at www.ridedonthide.com?

Go to http://www.ridedonthide.com/how-you-can-help/ for a variety of ideas of how you could help.

Any of these things would be greatly helpful.

And...tomorrow is Thanksgiving Day, at least here in Canada. And if it's not Thanksgiving where you live, I pray you will have lots to thank God about, nevertheless.

No comments: