Friday, October 22, 2010

Writing - putting it all on paper

In a promo to his new book Philip Yancey said, "For a writer, nothing really counts in life until you put it on paper." What Good is God? sounds like it's going to be an excellent read and I've already ordered a copy, looking forward to its delivery. Yancey is such a wonderfully honest writer, a writer after my own heart.

And what Yancey said here is so true for me. As my life carries on I'm finding more and more that I really am a writer. There are very few things that happen to me, very few things I think or feel, that I don't feel compelled to share in some way - whether it be in emailed letters, articles, books, notecards, blogposts, or speeches that I write out. I like to send comments to what others have written, and yet so precious few other people do.

I'm constantly puzzled why others don't seem to want to share in the way I do. So much I write receives no response. A point of view I expressed via email to a group of members of my church - something I had hoped would spark some written discussion - received responses only from the pastor and one other person. And when I posted a comment on a church online forum, no one responded.

But I guess not everyone has time for such things. And I guess it's not as easy for everyone to write letters. I'm learning to understand.

I send many emails to friends and receive great satisfaction and comfort from sharing with them what's in my heart. And yet I wonder, are they getting tired of me? When they see my name in their inbox, do they think to themselves, "oh no, not another one"?

And yet I can't not write. Each email is a necessity in my mind, though my husband calls it an obsession. Don't know if it is or not. I comfort myself by thinking, "I'm a writer. That's what I do. That's what I need to do. That's what God made me to do." I feel like Yancey feels, nothing in my life counts until I've written about it.

10 comments:

Liz said...

Hi Marja,

I love this post. I used to write a lot so I identify with Yancey's quote and what you said. Writing is something special and a gift. I love to express things like that too.

Have a nice week!

marja said...

Hi Liz,

So good to find someone who can relate. So good to have you writing and responding to my blog. So good to connect once more.

You have a good week too, Liz.
May God bless you each day with peace and harmony - with just enough stress thrown in to make life interesting for you :))

marja

isabella mori (@moritherapy) said...

hi marja, long time no talk ...

a few years ago, i wrote a series of posts on creativity. of course one of the questions that came up was, "what/who is an artist"? one of the best descriptions we came up with is what you just said - an artist is someone who just HAS to practice her/his art.

marja said...

Hi Isabella,

So good to have you visit!

Yes, I think you're absolutely right. Artists just "have to" do what they do. I know it's the same with me and photography. Sometimes I'm so involved in photographing children, that I can't do anything else. I don't eat and I don't rest while there are wonderful things to capture.

Nancie said...

Hi Marja,

I am a writer too and find writing therapeutic :) I can fully identify with your sentiment.

Whenever I am well and a little hypomania, I love to write and share. At such time, I tend to write many long emails to many people sharing with them many things. But I am often disappointed at the lack of response from the receivers.

And it greatly saddens me when I hear some said they find my writing too long and they actually took offense at the length because they said they are very busy and have no time to read my long emails! Sometimes they wonder why I write and share so many things with them :( They themselves also hardly write to share anything or even when meet face to face usually they talk very superficially.

Well, I need to constantly remind myself that we are all made differently. Some people are very private people and simply don't like to share. So I need to learn to accept them as they are.

Thank you for your prayers for me. Thank God I am feeling better. You can see by the length of this comment and the post I just posted today :)

Thank God for His many mercies. Take care and keep in touch.

Warm regards,
Nancie

marja said...

Dear Nancie,

I'm so glad you are feeling better and back to writing. And yes, we are so much alike - like twins, eh? In the writing and in the ministry we like to do. And in how we want to be the people God wants us to be, willingly allowing Him to guide us day by day.

I'm so sorry that there are people who tell you your emails are too long and that they don't have time to read them. That must be very hurtful.

But I'm sure there are people who don't read my emails as well, but I've come to accept that. I just shoot them off as I feel led and hope that the people who God really wants them to be read by will read. We really do have to learn to accept whatever happens, though it can be hard to bear.

Interesting thing, my pastor, when he does answer my emails (which he doesn't every time) tends to be write long pieces too. His emails are difficult to read because he doesn't separate them out into paragraphs. I often don't have time to read them right away, though I so much appreciate his responses. But when I do read them, often much is lost to me because they're just so long. Must say, though, I find his sermons riveting and I have learned so much from him.

Myself, I've tried to keep my blogposts tight and focused on one point and find that works best for me. It's a challenge to make them that way, but I get a great sense of satisfaction from trying to do that.

...and now look at what I'm doing here: I'm writing a comment that is almost as long as the post. Sorry about that! Got carried away. Had a "need" to write.

Love you, Nancie. And so glad that you're feeling better. I will have a look at your post too.

marja

Anonymous said...

I think you're right that lack of time is a problem. I often find myself wanting to write to friends, but it gets to be so long between letters that I feel the need to write a proper, lengthy update, and I don't feel I have time for that sort of detailed correspondence, and the cycle continues!

As for posts on your blog - I'm sure I'm not the only one who loves someone with bipolar and who finds your take on things here a comfort and a blessing. We should all take the time to comment more often, yes. But even when we don't, please know that we're blessed by your writing!

marja said...

Anonymous,

Thank you so much for your comment. It encourages me to keep writing. You're right, it is hard to write to someone when it is long between letters. It is hard to find the time.

And as far as commenting on blogposts: I'm really bad at that right now myself. Am finding it hard to even go to others' blogs to read. Rather selfish of me, eh?

Eva Geranton said...

LOVE LOVE LOVE this one! You, my dear, are not alone! For me the writing becomes my validation. You being the writer have captured this better than I could!

marja said...

Eva,

Thank you for this. I had a look at your blog and can identify with you. So good to find people with whom we have things in common.

Just wish I had more time to read others' blogs. I'm sorry I can't visit more people.