Thursday, March 07, 2013

A lesson from the buttercup


Let the light of your face shine on us.
Fill my heart with joy…

                                               Psalm 4:6-7
I’'ve spent some delightful times on spring days, lying with my camera in the middle of a field of buttercups. The shiny gold blooms, growing in a park not far from my home, were a joy to behold. The stems were tall enough so I could lie underneath them, shooting up from below, using the blue sky as a backdrop. Dancing around on their lanky stems, the cheerful blossoms reminded me of the innocent, open spirit of children.

Quoting Charles Spurgeon again: (such a great preacher he was, and a gifted writer). In Morning and Evening he writes:

"The Christian should be like those lovely spring flowers which, when the sun is shining, open their golden cups, as if saying, ‘'Fill us with thy beams!’' but when the sun is hidden behind a cloud, they close their cups and droop their heads. So should the Christian feel the sweet influence of Jesus; Jesus must be his sun, and he must be the flower which yields itself to the Sun of Righteousness."”

I’'m looking forward to more of the clear days we had on Sunday and Monday here in Vancouver, so I can lift my face up to the sun and say “"fill me with your beams."” And I will experience the joy that a thankful heart can bring.

But, even if the sun isn'’t shining on us, God’s light will shine on us when we open ourselves up to Him.

May God bless you all with His beams.


(Would you like to receive my reflections by email? If so, go to www.livingroomsupport.org and sign up on the Homepage. I send out emails twice a week and you can unsubscribe at any time.)

No comments: