Monday, March 04, 2013

"Will you be a child for me?"


People brought babies to Jesus, hoping he might touch them. When the disciples saw it, they shooed them off. Jesus called them back. Let these children alone. Don't get between them and me. These children are the kingdom's pride and joy. Mark this: Unless you accept God's kingdom in the simplicity of a child, you'll never get in.”
Luke 18:15-17 (The Message)

I've often tried to put my finger on what it is exactly that Jesus saw in the children. What childlike qualities does he want us to emulate so that we, too, can enter His kingdom? I believe God is asking us: "Will you be a child for me?"”

I have loved photographing children for many years. Children five and under are my favourites. That's when they can still express themselves freely. Young children are open and real. How precious that is to witness!

When they're exploring new things, children can get totally caught up with - in awe of - what they see around them. Everything else - everything that might distract from the moment -– fades away.  Wouldn't it be nice if we could all live like that? To forget our troubles and find time to give our attention to God's handiwork. I want to be like the child in this picture, openly receiving what God gives me, lost in the wonder of it.

Wouldn't it be beautiful if we were able to keep the curiosity we had as children? If we were able to be so easily delighted and excited about our discoveries?

I photographed this little girl many years ago - enraptured by the things she was discovering in this wooded campground. If we could only keep this attitude towards the things God has created! I think God wants us to.

God asks, "Will you be a child for me?"
 

Would you like to receive sciptures and reflections like this to your inbox? It's the closest to a Living Room support group we can get online. Go to www.livingroomsupport.org to subscribe.

Take care.

 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad you are back to blogging! Thanks, as always, for your true and encouraging words.

marja said...

I'm glad to be back. Writing gives me such satisfaction. It's a blessing to share my thoughts.