Friday, November 18, 2011

Burn-out?

I've felt very tired lately. Bordering on burn-out maybe?

My open house last Saturday did not go as I envisioned. Not nearly as many people turning out as I had thought would. But the weather was horrendous - lots of rain and wind. I was touched though every time I saw someone arrive, braving that weather. How good it was to see them! Quite a few of my Living Room gang. And the living room was almost always filled with people - lots of good visiting. Although I didn't sell much we had a wonderful time - and that's most important, isn't it?

I'm trying to rest now. Trouble is, every time I try to rest my mind runs away with me. I'm doing far too much thinking. And when I think things, I feel a need to share. I end up making phone calls and writing emails. Thankfully I haven't called anyone too many times, though - I don't think. One person I called three times yesterday. But I think she understood the need and she knows that she was helping me. Good for a person to know when they are helping you. Good not to just complain about your feelings but to show you're willing to listen to a person's advice and take it to heart. Friends don't want to feel like they're helpless to help you. They want to feel they're able to do some good.

I always try too to learn what my friends are going through. I want to pray for them too. I'm not the only one with troubles. Everyone has some kind of troubles. Some kind of burden. I don't just want my friends to be there for me. I need to be there for them too. Support is a two-way street. We need to be friends to each other.

And...listening to others about what is happening in their lives helps take my mind off myself. A very healthy thing.

2 comments:

Nancie said...

Dear Marja,

Just want you to know that I am thinking of you and praying for you.

Do take care and pace yourself moderately. I am also reminding myself daily as I have been feeling very tired too.

Maybe I am also near burn-out I think and trying harder now to slow down. But there always seemed so much that need to be done!

Support is truly very important. I am thankful to God for providing friends that loves and understand you, and always there for you. Thanks for being always there for me too. I remember you fondly always. Do take care and may our Lord keep you in His love always.

With love in Christ and prayers,
Nancie

marja said...

Thank you so much, Nancie. You so know these feelings, don't you? So good to have someone who understands! You comfort me.

The verse I've been thinking much of lately is from Psalm 23: "He makes me lie down in green pastures." We have to allow God to "make" us lie down, don't we? Even when we just want to keep working.. But when we can see the green pastures around us where God makes us lie, it is wonderful to rest - in peace and in joy.

Don't know if you or others reading this will understand. But maybe some will.

Thinking of you this morning and wishing you well. May God bless you always.

Love, marja