Sunday, April 01, 2012

Waiting patiently

I had a coffee today with a friend who's depressed. She told me about a course she's taking at a mental health facility. At this course she's being taught to accept depression when it happens - to go with it and not fight it. Not that you don't look for a way out, but just don't get all upset about it. Accept it as a fact for your life at this moment.

It makes a lot of sense to me. When I've been depressed it's the fighting it - looking for a way out but not finding it - that makes me feel worse. This attitude is most likely to bring on thoughts of suicide.

I'm reminded of what David wrote in Psalm 40:
1 I waited patiently for the LORD;
he turned to me and heard my cry.
2 He lifted me out of the slimy pit,
out of the mud and mire;
he set my feet on a rock
and gave me a firm place to stand.
3 He put a new song in my mouth,
a hymn of praise to our God.
Many will see and fear the LORD
and put their trust in him.

It's all about waiting patiently, isn't it? Waiting patiently while trusting God.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

That's lovely! :)

marja said...

Thanks, Mira