Monday, February 18, 2013

Finding strength in weakness


Hello everyone,
I received a note for you from Alison, "Wishing GOD'S strength in everyone's journey." She quoted from 2 Corinthians 12:9 where Paul said, "But he said to me, 'My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.' Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may rest on me." 
Strange thing about that verse, I so often have trouble getting my head around it, trying to sort out exactly what it means. Sometimes I get it, and then, other times, I don't.
But we need to understand that verse, because we all deal with weaknesses, don't we? Some of us in a very bad way. We suffer.
In an adaptation from Charles Spurgeon's devotional Morning and Evening, he is quoted saying "Take courage, for there must be a consciousness of weakness before the Lord will give you victory." It's when we feel weak that we most have to rely on God's strength to uphold us. It's then that we most need to trust God, and that is good. The opposite would be to feel that we have strength and have no need for God.
Quoting something I found by Dane Ortlund: "The pattern in God’s work on earth is to channel his power through human weakness. God does not skim off the top ten percent— - the most gifted, the most articulate, the smartest, the best educated - —for significance in the kingdom."
"He picks the screw-ups. The nobodies. He picks people like you and me." Think of the many "weak" people in the Bible who God picked to do great things: Jacob, rather than Esau, young David rather than his more impressive brothers, Jeremiah, young and timid, chosen to be God's mouthpiece. "Human weakness is not a problem for God. It is the great prerequisite. It is where God locates His power."
And how do we find God's strength? Stay connected. Talk to Him. Ask Him for the help you need with this day. But it's something we so often forget to do, isn't it? If only we could do that daily!
Wishing you all a blessed day.
marja

The above is a copy of an email I sent today to people who would like to be part of a Living Room group but aren't able to access one. If you'd like to receive such emails into your inbox, you can send your email address to me from the Living Room homepage at www.livingroomsupport.org

No comments: