Thursday, February 21, 2013

Like lambs in His arms

Years ago I saw this scene of a mother and her child. I could relate so I photographed it. It reminded me very much of the child I used to be - and the child I still am at times.

I was really taken by something Ravi Zacharias said in his book, Recapture the Wonder. He wrote, “Like a child who suddenly stops sobbing when he is clasped in the arms of his mother, such will be the grip of heaven upon our souls.” Is this so very meaningful to me because I’ve lived with so much depression? It must be, though I’m sure many will remember that feeling of being comforted, whether it be as a child or adult.

Zacharias talks about heaven, but I don’t believe heaven is only a place we go to when we die. I believe it’s available to us now. Heaven is possible wherever God’s kingdom reigns, wherever His will is done.

Jesus Himself taught us to pray:


“Our Father in heaven,
hallowed be your name,
  your kingdom come,
your will be done
    on earth as it is in heaven.” 
(Matthew 6:9-10)

When we feel the love of God, isn’t it a bit like being clasped once more in our mother’s arms? Every time I am reminded of His love, especially at those times I’m having trouble emotionally, it’s as though I experience a little piece of heaven. There are many things that help me feel that. Scripture like Isaiah 40:10-11 for example.


See, the Sovereign Lord comes with power,
    and his arm rules for him.
See, his reward is with him, 
    and his recompense accompanies him.  
He tends his flock like a shepherd:
    He gathers the lambs in his arms
and carries them close to his heart;
    he gently leads those that have young.

He carries us close to his heart.
 
(If you live with a mood disorder and would like inspirational messages like this to come to your inbox, go to www.livingroomsupport.org and fill out the form. You may unsubscribe at any time.)

No comments: