Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Grinding away

Over the past several days I've had my nose to the proverbial grindstone, editing my book. The end of this big project is in sight, though there is still much work to do before it's where I want it to be. This is SO exciting.

I'm amazed at how focused I've been and wonder now and then whether I might be getting a bit high on all this. Have had some pretty early mornings lately, waking up at 5am or even earlier. But last night was good. I was able to sleep to my normal 6:30.

Hypomania has been a mixed blessing that has come upon me frequently over the past couple of years. In fact, it was hypomania that first gave me the inspiration to write this book. I remember how, during those first few months, the ideas flooded in. Not wanting to lose any of my thoughts, I would stop whatever I was doing to write it all down. I wrote in darkened theaters, had to stop my car to write, took breaks in the middle of my workouts to write. I often woke in the middle of the night, ideas tumbling out. I always had a pad of paper and pen handy.

So now, here I am, 26 months later, almost ready to look for a publisher. I pray I will find a good one. This book is important. It will be the best tool I have to help churches understand bipolar disorder. It will help them learn how they can support people with mental health issues.

7 comments:

Amateur Dancer said...

hey marja,

YAY!!!!!!!! how exciting! you know..i chizel, slowly at a book...(don't laugh)...but i am, and have been, for a while.

so...the other day, while chizeling...i thought.."i wonder if marja is working on her book right now?"

i can't wait to read it marja!!! :-)

i need to tell you...i got some scary news, physical...it is starting to look more and more like a bone marrow related issue.

i feel peace, though. scared, but more peace then fear.

i hope i get to live...whatever it is, marja...i hope...

anyway...i wanted to let you know. a lot happened today.

Bleeding Heart said...

WOW! I am so proud of you! That is awesome...maybe when I get out of my funk, I could finish my book that I am almost done with...

Good for you, Marja! Isn't it such a great feeling when we write and accomplish something?

Sarah said...

i am SOOOOOOOOOO excited!! As soon as I go to the US or Canada I'll make SURE I'll buy it (you see, buying it through amazon would triple the price for me and bla bla) anyways......

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

I'm so excited and hypomania CAN be a blessing when we channalize it into a productive thing.

HEADS UP FOR YOU. like always.

marja said...

Hey Dancer, Dream, Dobro, and Sarah! Thank you for joining with me in my excitement. But please do realize, there is still much work to be done. I have to be so careful that I don't get printed as saying anything I'll later be sorry for. It's scary.

...and then I have to get my proposal online and wait for a publisher to approach me. An actual book you can hold in your hands is still a long way away.

But I'm a firm believer that every stage of a project needs to be celebrated. We don't have to wait to the very end. Six celebrations are so much better than a single one.

bipolar_girl said...

Way to go, Marja! good luck and God bless! take care

bipolar_girl said...

Marja, you hit the nail right on the head.Yeah, I've been feeling "flat" for such a long time now. I thought this is "normal." Thanks for the thought-provoking comment. Maybe I can ask my dr to do something about it. Thanks and God bless!

TayMachelle said...

I think hypomania is why a lot of people call bipolar a "brilliant maddness".

Good luck finding a publisher- and of course- when everything gets done- let us know how we can order it.