Wednesday, November 18, 2009

When we see things dimly

I've been reading Wayne Cordeiro's book, Leading on Empty: Refilling your tank and renewing your passion, and am finding it very helpful for what I'm going through right now.

Cordeiro says, "When we see things dimly, we invite depression, which can be defined as a perceived inability to reconstruct your future." When we're hit with depression we need to remind ourselves of what God called us to do in the first place. If we can focus on that, we can start rebuilding.

But what comes first: the depression and anxiety or the lack of focus? Or do the two come about simultaneously? Hard to say.

I do know that what triggered my present battle was a number of things, all of them causing anxious thoughts which led to depression. I have been seeing the work God gave me to do "dimly." Having a hard time focusing. I'm trying very hard to re-focus though, spending much time in prayer.

It's all about remembering what God gave me to do and why I'm doing it, isn't it? It's all about believing in it. I've made a list of my priorities and am meditating on them often. And I think my prayers are starting to help. Focussing on my calling is helping with the depression. It's helping me think more positively.

Cordeiro talks about Paul's trials with storms and snakebites. Yet he never forgot his divine commission to witness in Rome, as he had witnessed in Jerusalem. This gave him the confidence to withstand anything. I want to be like Paul.

2 comments:

Nancie said...

Dear Marja,

I am praying for you. It really helps to focus on God's calling. You have been a tremendous blessing to me and many people through your blog and through living room. We love you and you are very precious to us and to God.

May God give you renewed strength and grace as you look to Him daily. I am praying for you and thinking of you.

I been quite discouraged recently with some things that went wrong but God is graciously uplifting me. I am learning to rest in His love daily. It is a great comfort that we are accepted by God and beloved to Him no matter how imperfect or weak we are. May God shower His love and blessings upon you daily.

With love and prayers,
Nancie

marja said...

Thank you, dear Nancie.

Yes, it's a daily thing, isn't it? So good to have each day new, a new opportunity to start again.

It IS a great comfort to know that we are accepted and loved by God, in spite of our weakness. Thank you for reminding me of that. I tend to think too much about what my friends think of my imperfection and that gets me down. The important thing is to remember who we are in God's eyes.

I'm glad God is uplifting you, in spite of things going wrong.

You are a great comfort to me, Nancie. Thank you for your prayers.

Love,
marja