Sunday, February 26, 2012

Our life as adventure

I've been enjoying Erwin McManus's Chasing Daylight: Seize the Power of Every Moment. Although it's my third time reading this book, it still inspires me in the same way. McManus writes that life is an adventure which "comes at great risk and at significant cost. And life as God intends for you to live is nothing less than an adventure."

This book is hitting home so well for me right now as I'm gradually hoping to become more fully engaged in Living Room work again. A while back it was thought that I should avoid all big stressors and try to keep myself safe from excessive mood problems. But my new medication is working. I have regained the stability I lost. Thank you, God, for medicine! No need to continue playing it too too safe.

And I prayed, "Lord, what kind of life would I have playing it safe all the time? Life is and adventure and I'll need to live it, even if it means getting overwhelmed once in a while. God, I need to trust you again, as I trusted you from the beginnings of Living Room.

Yes I trusted, but You know how I faltered a lot too, Lord. There was a lot of fear. But You never failed to bring me back to the realization that I don't have to do the work alone. In fact, it's mostly You doing the work. All I have to do is to be a foot soldier for You. I just do what I'm told, taking advantage of opportunities that you provide, responding to those delicious urges to write - those urges that I know come from You. I want to be a voice for You, Lord."

Erwin McManus also wrote the following: "This is about stepping up and making sure life counts. It's about volunteering when God is asking, 'Who will go on my behalf?' I'm talking about our silent abdication of responsibility, our choice to move to the backdrop when someone is needed on the forefront."

Yes, Lord, to keep playing it safe now that I'm more stable would indeed be abdicating my responsility.

I know that our God is very much present in all of Living Room's work. Through it Christians living with mood disorders are finding safe places to openly be themselves, dealing with their emotional problems with the help of God, in an accepting and loving environment. It is a worthy adventure.

8 comments:

Annie said...

So glad you're doing well on your new meds, Marja, and feeling up to getting back to Living Room with new energy. All that sunshine probably helped. I'm hoping to get out to one of your meetings sometime in the future to be an observer. Though my lived experience was with schizophrenia, so much of what I went through is similar to bipolar - at least the psychoses. And as a Christian, I'd love to see how your groups work. Take care.

marja said...

Hi Annie,

You'd be very welcom to attend one of our groups. And - if you'd like to come on a regular basis - that would be fine as well. We've had people with schizophrenia before and they can really benefit just as much.

In fact, some groups prefer to say they're there for people with all kinds of mental illness and that's fine too.

I'd love to meet you.

Bayleigh Marie said...

Hi Marja :)

Just checking in to see how you are doing. Want you to know I'm thinking about you.

<3 Spin

marja said...

Thanks for thinking of me Spin. Thanks for visiting. I'm doing very well right now, thank you.

marja

Anonymous said...

It's a worthy adventure indeed! Blessings as you continue in this important ministry.

marja said...

Thank you, Anonymous. It's so good to feel people behind me. So great to join God in His work.

Anonymous said...

Go for it, Marja!

Steve

marja said...

Thanks for the encouragement, Steve. You just gave me another shot in the arm.

marja